- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 3 cups cubed squash (butternut, acorn, etc.)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch of chiipotle powder or cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cooked black beans (or about 1 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained well)
- kosher salt
- cubed avocado, for garnish
- chopped cilantro, for garnish
In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat and saute the onions until they are just beginning to brown, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add in the garlic, cabbage, squash, and stock. Reduce the heat so that you get a gentle simmer, cover, and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Stir in the spices and beans and cook for another 10 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
This can be served hot, warm, or room temperature. If you want a thicker consistency, use an immersion blender for a few seconds.