This salad is dressed in a simple vinaigrette, with crumbled goat cheese, toasted walnuts, and pomegranate seeds. When I bought my first pomegranate, I had no idea what to do with it. I read that they were healthy, so wanted to try it. I found instructions on the internet how to extract the seeds, but then what? I tried eating a few by sort of biting and sucking the fruit from the seeds. It was good, but what a pain in the you-know-what! Finally, it occurred to me to just bite them. Duh!
So you get a burst of sweetness followed by nutty deliciousness. Ferdinand doesn’t ever extract the seeds. He sort of bites the pomegranate, then spits out the pith. To each his own!
Arugula and Mixed Green Salad
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 5-ounce bag baby arugula (5 cups)
- 1 5-ounce bag mixed green lettuce (5 cups)
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
Combine all the dressing ingredients. I find it easiest to use a small jar with a tight fitting lid. Then just shake every thing up. Otherwise, use a bowl and whisk them.
Toss the arugula and mixed greens with just enough dressing to coat lightly. Sprinkle in the goat cheese, walnuts, and pomegranate seeds. Serve additional dressing on the side.Serves 8 as a side salad (2 cups each)