This recipe is adapted from one I saw in “Whole Living” magazine. I changed it a little to suit my tastes. It comes out a pretty pale orange color. To make it vegan you could substitute the potato and squash cooking liquid for the milk, or use almond milk.
Squash Spiked Mashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 small butternut squash (2 pounds), peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 5-7 sprigs of fresh thyme
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- freshly grated nutmeg
In a large saucepan, cover potatoes, squash, and herbs with water; season generously with salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain vegetables, discarding herbs and liquid.
Return vegetables to the saucepan and mash with the butter; add enough milk until you reach the desired consistency. Adjust seasonings, then scoop into a serving bowl and sprinkle with nutmeg.
Recipe feeds 6 people.