Hmmm. Beans and shrimp. It just might work. I thought this was an odd combination, but had to try it. Especially since I eat beans and whole grains at least 4 to 5 days a week. It is reminiscent of Shrimp and Grits.
Chile Shrimp with Butter Beans and Couscous
- 2/3 cups couscous
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 15-ounce can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
In a bowl, stir the couscous with the boiling water. Cover and let steam for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet, over medium high heat. Cook the shrimp and red pepper flakes for 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Swirl the butter into the skillet and cook the beans, capers, and lemon juice, while stirring, for 2 minutes. Fold the bean mixture, along with the parsley and 1 tablespoon of oil, into the couscous. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve topped with shrimp.