This is similar to a panzanella salad. The vinaigrette dressing is made with olive oil, red wine vinegar, and beer. Not just any ole beer. Stella Artois. Stella Artois is a light, lager style beer. I suppose you can substitute with an inexpensive Budweiser, but you really shouldn’t.
Tomato, Arugula, and Basil Salad
- 5 thick slices of bread, torn into bite-sized pieces
- olive oil
- 5 ripe tomatoes, sliced thick
- 2 tablespoons Niçoise olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, torn
- 2 ounces baby arugula leaves
- 2 tablepoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Stella Artois or other lager
- fresh ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Toss the bread in a little olive oil, then toast in the oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Place toasted bread, tomatoes, olives, basil, and arugula in a bowl.
In a smaller bowl (or a covered glass jar) combine extra-virgin olive oil, vinegar, and lager to form a dressing.
Pour dressing over salad and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.