Bulgur is one of those ancient grains that is coming back into style because it is healthful and versatile. This particular salad is made with cracked wheat which cooks up fast and gives the salad a nutty flavor and chewy component. I make this with a homemade red wine vinaigrette made with extra-virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, a little mustard (whole grain), salt and pepper.
Bulgur Salad with Chickpeas, Feta, and Basil
- 1 cup cracked wheat bulgur
- 1 teaspoon bouillon (tomato/chicken is nice)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup vinaigrette dressing
- 3 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1 pound cooked chickpeas,rinsed and drained (canned okay)
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers (any colors)
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil. Stir in bulgur and bouillon. Return to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand until water is absorbed, an additional 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl to cool.
Stir remaining ingredients, except parsley and basil into the bulgur.
Sprinkle with the fresh parsley and basil.
NOTE: Other grains work well with this salad such as brown rice or quinoa, adjust cooking times. Dried parsley will also work well, just use 1/3 of the amount.Serves 6.