Wheat berries are a whole grain that is a little bigger than barley. They sort of look like barley, but they are brown. They are quite tough and can take 90 minutes to cook until tender. If you soak them for an hour, they cook in about half that time. You can even make them the night before to make this salad seem less time consuming.
Wheat Berry Gazpacho Salad
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 1 pound cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained (canned are fine)
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup seedless green grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup cucumber, sliced or chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh tarragon
- 1/3 cup red wine vinaigrette
- 4 cups herb-flavored croutons
Place wheat berries and 3 cups water in a bowl. Let soak for an hour; drain. Place wheat in a saucepan and cover with 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until tender, 45 minutes to an hour. Drain, then place in a large bowl to cool.
Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes, grapes, cucumber, bell pepper, onion, oregano, tarragon, vinaigrette, and stir to combine.
Stir in croutons just before serving.