This dish is popular in the southern United States, I guess because lettuce has a better chance of going bad in that warmer climate. This is a great way to use up lettuce that is starting to wilt on it’s own.
Killed Lettuce Salad
- 8-9 cups lettuce greens, such as butter lettuce, arugula, red leaf lettuce, mustard greens, etc.
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 shallot, cut into thin slices
- 2 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple, cut into matchsticks
- hot pepper sauce
Wash greens in a large bowl of cold water to remover any grit or dirt. Shake off water and drain on paper towels.
Heat fat in the skillet over medium heat. Saute the shallots until softened, about 2 minutes. Add in the green onions, and cook 30 second.
Turn heat to high and pour in the vinegar. Toss in the greens and use tongs to gently stir the lettuce into the dressing. Cook so that the greens are wilted, but still retain some crunch. Season with salt and pepper.
Plate lettuce and top with apple sticks and a dash of hot sauce.