Some of the ingredients may not be completely authentic as I have adjusted the recipe to include ingredients readily found in American grocery stores, while trying to stay true to the flavors of the original recipe.
Kuku Wa Nazi (Chicken Stewed in Coconut Milk)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 4 plum tomatoes, cored and minced or 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes (they will burst as they cook)
- 1 red onion, minced
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 28 ounces of coconut milk
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups cooked rice, for serving
- chopped cilantro, for garnish
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the turmeric, garlic, jalapenos, tomatoes, and onions, cooking, stirring often, until the onions start to caramelize, 20-25 minutes.
Add the chicken along with the lime juice and coconut milk. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cook until the chicken is tender, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
To serve: Spoon rice into 4 serving bowls and spoon the chicken and sauce over the rice. Garnish with the cilantro and more black pepper, if desired.