Roasted cauliflower is one of my favorite things to eat. Here it is combined with a whole grain, barley. What could be better. I also used sherry wine vinegar which is sweeter and has more flavor than red wine vinegar.
This salad leaves you full and satisfied. It is perfect for those who are trying to cut down on eating so much meat.
Barley and Cauliflower Salad
- 1 cup pearled barley (or try another grain such as wheat berry)
- 1 small head of cauliflower, cut into florets (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon celery seeds
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small head escarole (or radicchio lettuce), torn (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved (these can also be roasted with the cauliflower if you like)
- 2 ounces salami, chopped
- 2 ounces Manchego cheese, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Cook the barley in water until tender, about 40 minutes. If you soak it in water an hour, up to overnight, you can cut your cooking time in half.
Meanwhile, toss together the cauliflower, celery seeds, and 3 tablespoons of oil in a bowl. Transfer to a baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Roast, tossing once, until the cauliflower is golden brown, 16 to 18 minutes.
Toss together the cooked barley, roasted cauliflower, lettuce, tomato, salami, cheese, green onions, vinegar, remaining 3 tablespoons of oil, and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
Either serve warm or at room temperature.