This is a spread to put on whole-grain crackers or toast points. Caramelizing the onions lends them a sweet flavor. This spread also has flavors of rosemary and basil.
Caramelized Onion and White Bean Spread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 to 3 basil leaves for garnish, leave whole or chop
- whole-grain bread or crackers for serving
Heat oil in a skillet over medium low heat. Add onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion becomes light brown and very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Use a food processor to puree beans and broth until smooth. Add onions and process until still slightly chunky. Add rosemary and a little more pepper and just pulse to combine.
Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with basil if you like. Serve room temperature or slightly chilled. Can be made 4 hours ahead of time – cover and refrigerate.
Serves 6 1/4 cup servings.