I like to eat whole grains and beans nearly every single day. Hence, I need lots of different ways to eat them. I also need them to be easy. I normally make a rather large pot of whatever whole grain I am having for the week all at once since it is still good for 3 days if kept refrigerated. I also like to cook it in either a vegetable broth or chicken broth for flavor. Everybody likes chili and this one has chipotle! Ole!
Quinoa and White Bean Chili
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1 15-ounce cans white beans or 3 cups cooked white beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 tomatoes, chopped reserving juices (about 4 cups)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 ounces fresh spinach, chopped (about 4 cups)
In a large pot, combine quinoa and 4 cups water. Over high heat, bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 15 minutes. Add in peppers, chipotle, beans, tomatoes, cumin, and oregano. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
By now the quinoa should be just about tender and the chili should have begun to thicken. Stir in the spinach and cook to wilt, about 1 minute.