This is a fresh way to prepare healthy grains for consumption. And by fresh, I mean it has raspberries in it!
Warm Chicken and Grains Salad
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 cup millet, rinsed
- olive oil cooking spray
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 4-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- 1 Bartlett pear, cored and diced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
In a small saucepan, bring 2 1/4 cup water, quinoa and millet to a boil, stir, cover, and reduce heat to low. Let simmer until the grains are soft, and the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Preheat your broiler to high. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with a little cooking spray.
Whisk together garlic, lemon juice, rosemary, oil, and pepper. Rub this mixture onto the chicken and then place the chicken on the prepared baking sheet. Broil chicken, turning once, until no longer pink and the juices run clear, about 12 minutes. Transfer chicken pieces to a cutting board and let cool slightly. Slice chicken, across the grain.
Meanwhile, prepare the dressing by blending the ingredients until smooth.
In a large bowl, toss the grains and spinach with the dressing until well mixed and the spinach is wilted. Add pear and green onions. Divide among serving plates, top with chicken and cheese.