This is a creamy, yet healthy soup that comes together in just over an hour.
Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup minced carrot
- 1/2 cup minced celery
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup wild rice, rinsed and drained
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half and half
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat. Saute the onion, carrots, and celery until tender, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the broth and wild rice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes, uncovered. Add the chicken and simmer likewise an additional 20 minutes until the rice is tender.
Melt the remaining butter (microwave) and combine with the flour. Add a little of the broth, then stir the whole thing into the soup. Cook and stir until thickened, 1 minute. Stir in half and half and cook until heated through. Season with pepper.