Raise your hand if you want to make a low-sodium, low-calorie chicken tortilla soup.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 cup corn kernels, thawed if frozen
- 2 1/2 cups broken tortilla chips
- 1/ 4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Brown chicken for about 2 minutes. Stir in onion, peppers, lime juice, garlic, chili powder and cumin. Cook 2 minutes.
Stir in broth and simmer 8 to 10 minutes.
Lightly crush the chips, then divide half of them among serving bowls. Ladle the soup into the bowls, then top with cheese and the remainder of the chips.