Recaito (Green Sofrito)
Sofrito is a saute of aromatics that is the basis of many dishes. Recaito is a green version with cilantro, culantro, garlic, onions, and peppers. Use it in stews, soups, rice, etc.
You can also buy this in jars in your Latino section of the grocery store, but homemade is much more flavorful and healthy. It keeps about a week in the refrigerator, but I like to freeze it in ice cube trays (then pop them out and place in a freezer bag) for longer storage. This way I can grab 2, 3, or however many I want and add to a recipe!
- 1 cup of cilantro, coarsely chopped (large, tough stems removed)
- 1 cup of culantro, coarsely chopped (if not available, use more cilantro)
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 10 ají dulce peppers or 1/4 cup bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 Spanish onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 cubanelle peppers or Italian frying peppers, stemmed, seeded and coarsely chopped
Place ingredients in a food processor, or blender, and puree until smooth.