About This Recipe
For this recipe you will need a skillet and a casserole. If you have an oven-safe skillet with deep sides, even better. Most skillets are only safe to 350 degree or 400; this recipe is baked at 425. A Dutch oven would work well too. I have saved a step and used a rotisserie chicken, but any cooked chicken will do, so this is great for transforming leftovers.
Baked Gnocchi with Chicken
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced (about 4 cups)
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 rotisserie chicken, skin removed and shredded (2 cups)
- 17 1/2 ounces potato gnocchi
- 1 1/2 cups loosely packed baby spinach
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (1 ounce)
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Heat your skillet over medium high heat, add the oil, then mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes or so. Transfer mushrooms to a plate and wipe out the skillet.
Add in the chicken, mushrooms, gnocchi, and spinach. Stir to coat everything and wilt the spinach. Sprinkle with Parmesan, then transfer the whole shebang to the oven. If using a separate casserole, transfer everything to the casserole, then sprinkle with the Parmesan.
Bake until bubbling, about 20 minutes. If you like, turn on the broiler and brown the top for about 3 minutes.