I saw a similar recipe in Better Homes and Gardens magazine, but they wanted me to shred up some Brussels Sprouts. This I could not do. You see, I do not like Brussels Sprouts. So this recipe has sauerkraut, cabbage, apples, raisins, and dried cranberries.
Tangy Slaw with Sauerkraut and Apples
- 3 cup sauerkraut, drained (liquid reserved)
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage (remove the core and shred about 1/3 a medium-sized head)
- 1/2 green apple, cored and thinly sliced into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- cider vinegar, if needed
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a large bowl, combine drained sauerkraut, cabbage, apple, raisins, and cranberries.
In a smaller bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup of the reserved sauerkraut liquid (make up any shortfall with cider vinegar), oil, salt, and pepper.
Pour dressing over slaw and toss well to coat.
Best served within 6 hours. I suppose you could punch up the flavor with a sprinkling of cider vinegar.